The Friends of Lakeside Lab was founded in 1994 to support Iowa Lakeside Laboratory and Regents Resource Center through scholarships and as a community resource for water quality monitoring, environmental education and research. The Friends is a tax-exampt, 501c3 non-profit organization. Friends membership and supporters include not only Lakeside alumni from Iowa and all over the world, but local and summer residents, businesses - in short - reflecting the diverse audiences and communities that Lakeside benefits not only locally but regionally and world-wide.
Lakeside Lab was highlighted in the University of Iowa's 2011 Annual Report "OutFront Report", and the Friends of Lakeside Lab was honored in 2013 with a statewide commendation from the Iowa Board of Regents.
The Members and Board of Directors for the Friends are made up of diverse and active individuals who have played a creative and visionary role in expanding Lakeside's education, water quality monitoring, and research programs and audiences.To learn more about the Friends and their mission, please see the 2014 Annual Report.
Since its incorporation, Friends has made many accomplishments, including:
- A successful million-dollar capital campaign to build Lakeside's first year-round teaching and research facility, the Waitt Building, completed under budget and on schedule in 1998.
- Expansion of Lakeside education programs to include pre-K through 12 and the life-long learners, volunteer opportunities and year-round programming.
- Support for Lakeside's water quality monitoring and research including the involvement of community volunteers.
- Increased scholarship and research fellowships for students.
- Establishment of an endowment to sustain Lakeside's water quality monitoring, education and research programs.